Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Emily's Bridge - Stowe, VT

Taken by Ricky, and I get the distinct feeling
that there was anger swirling around in the first
picture. Supposedly young men usually feel the
wrath of the ghost. Then the second picture
taken seconds later, clear.



see the orb?


I see something, just not sure...



Tilt your head to the right when you look at this one
Can you see Emily? I think she is wearing a hat (look in the V)



Seconds later, no smoky stuff











The Legend:
Emily's Bridge

The Gold Brook Bridge, Stowe Vermont
In the nineteenth century a beautiful young woman named Emily grew up in the town of Stowe. She came from an abusive and overprotective family.
The family was so overprotective that they would not allow Emily to be courted by any of the young men in town. However, one day a handsome young man came across Emily's path while she was doing chores. He instantly captured her heart.
Madly in love Emily introduced the young man to her parents. Her parents, deciding the young man was too poor and uncivilized, forbid Emily to ever see him again. Emily's parents had the young man dragged from their home while Emily watched in despair.
The young man could not be dissuaded. He met Emily while she was away from the house doing chores. Their love deepened and the young man asked Emily to elope. Emily's heart overflowed with joy. Not only would she be marrying the man of her dreams, but he would be taking her away from this oppressive life. They rushed off planning to meet at The Gold Brook Bridge the following night.
Unfortunately, Emily's parents discovered her plans. On the night that Emily was to elope they sent a couple of local thugs to find the young man and beat him unconscious so he would not make the rendezvous. They hoped Emily would believe that the young man had gotten cold feet and abandoned her. They received their wish.
Emily made her way to the bridge and waited. The night grew cold and her lover never came to claim her. Emily collapsed and began to sob, the thought of returning to her abusive parents entered her head and she became angered. She began to pound the sides of the wooden bridge until her hands were bloodied. Unwilling to return to her living nightmare Emily untied the rope that she used to bundle her belongings. She tied one end of the rope to a rafter of the bridge, the other end she tied around her neck.
She hung herself in the cold night. In the morning her lover finally arrived. Horrified, her lover cut her down and buried her near the bridge.
Today, locals know The Gold Brook Bridge as Emily's Bridge because Emily's angry spirit haunts it. Many people have experienced a disturbing phenomenon that has resulted in large scratch marks appearing on their cars. Others that have walked through the bridge have been clawed by Emily. They described it as if a pair of long nailed hands digging their way into their back and scratch down. Upon exiting the bridge they have bloody scratch marks traveling the length of their back, yet their shirt is not torn.
Some have reported hearing the sound of something dragging across the roof of their vehicle as they drive across. Upon investigation they see nothing. It's assumed this is the sound of Emily's feet dragging across the roof.
Others have reported seeing a white apparition inside and around the area of Emily's Bridge. Typically, the apparition is seen at night. Along with the apparition people have heard sounds of Emily sobbing; others have heard a helpless voice crying 'Help!’




As you can see by my pictures, there was definitely something there. The night was clear and black, there was no fog or smoke in the air. I could see as I snapped pictures, there is the smoky stuff, next picture, it's gone! People have reported their camera's malfunctioning at the bridge for no clear reason and Saturday night 2 camera's that were there malfunctioned. One just died, and one the flash kept going off click click click and she wasn't touching it. She lost all of her pictures that she had on her camera. I was very happy that mine worked just fine, I think Emily wanted me to take her picture. I probably took 50 pictures in order to capture the ones that I got, I have a few more that have the smoky stuff in them, but these were the best. Supposedly the "orbs" show up in pictures where there is a haunting, I got a few of those. Some people say they are dust motes but I don't think so.
I was not scared being at the bridge, I did not have the feeling of anything evil, angry or malicious. Instead I felt sadness for her. But, that doesn't mean when I went back to the inn, and we were all in bed and I was the only one still awake because I was so pumped, that I didn't get scared. :) I did have to turn the bathroom light on because I kept thinking that I was going to open my eyes in the dark and see the ghost's face floating in front of me.
Do you believe?

No comments: